Monday, June 25, 2012

Meatloaf

I like meatloaf - especially the next day.  But I hate how long it takes to bake.  One day I decided to try it in the slow cooker - and it worked great!  Just make your meatloaf as you would normally (I have about 3 or so different recipes I rotate between) and place in the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, drain the fat before serving.  Another way to make this easy to do is to prepare your meatloaf ahead of time and freeze it.  I currently have 4 loaves in my freezer.  I just pull one out the day before to thaw in the fridge, then place in your slow cooker.

Here's one of my favorite meatloaf recipes:
1 egg
5 Tbsp ketchup, divided
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons onion soup mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp cider vinegar

In a bowl, beat the egg.  Add 2 Tbsp ketchup, mustard, bread crumbs, dry soup mix, salt and pepper.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.  Form into the shape of slow cooker (oval or round)

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.  Place meatloaf in slow cooker. 

In a small bowl, combine sugars, vinegar, and remaining ketchup; drizzle over meatloaf.  Cover slow cooker.
(I double the this and pour extra on the last 30 minutes of cooking)

Cook on low 4-6 hours.  Drain fat.  Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing - this helps to make sure it is set up and shouldn't crumble when you cut into it.

Depending on how lean the meat is that I'm using, I'll add a few tablespoons of milk to help keep it moist as it is cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment